Managing and Leading in tougher times
Managing and team leading in 2010 and beyond is more demanding than ever before with the challenge of raising and maintain morale and motivation in a smaller workforce in which people:
- have less job security than ever before
- are often dealing with an increased workload as a result of staff cuts
- are experiencing the stress of having to adjust to almost continuous change.
Soft skills… or Subtle Skills?
To counteract these trends managers needs to be highly skilled in what used to be called ‘soft skills’ but which might be more appropriately called ‘subtle skills’ i/.e the skills of being able to influence and lead people including
- Communicate skilfully and influentially
- Understand the systemic nature team communication
- Understand the thinking and emotional make-up of teams and of the individuals within these teams
- Understand the role of beliefs and values in what makes people tick
- Inspire people by ‘selling’ them the team or organisational vision and getting their ‘buy in’ to this vision..
What and how this approach is now so important to managers and leaders is the subject of a new article on the Pegasus NLP Website on Managing and Leading with NLP.